smelling the roses

Tuesday, October 02, 2012


It's so easy to develop a routine and stick to it. I'm not sure what it is about routines and why we like them so much. A lot of the time I don't even realize that something has become routine for me.

A few days I purposely set out to switch up something that had become a boring routine for me -- walking. Lately, I've found myself hurrying to class or hurrying home, rather than enjoying my time walking. Instead of taking the same street home, I took a route I had never taken before. It took much longer, but it made my walk a lot more enjoyable. 'Stop and smell the roses' may be the biggest cliche out there, but there's some  truth to it. I suppose that's how it became a cliche in the first place. 

Anyway, all of this taught me something. Routines can be helpful, but they can also make us miss out on a lot. We miss the little things when we become engrossed in a routine. Here's to stopping to smell the roses more.   





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe