Orange Sherbet Push-Ups

Wednesday, July 11, 2012


When I was a little kid, I never thought that life as I knew it would end. I didn't know it was going to be replaced with responsibility, decision-making and problem-solving. Looking back, I see childhood as a completely different time, almost a different life. I can't pinpoint exactly when that life ended. It was more of a gradual thing.

I thought about adulthood when I was a child, but I thought that I would own a sky blue VW bug and my name would change to Lisa. Those two things were the extent of my comprehension of "adulthood".  Oh, and all of this would happen at the age of fifteen, because that's when adulthood began. Don't ya know.

I never thought about all of us kids moving away from home. I never thought about nights when we wouldn't sit out on the picnic table, eating orange sherbet push-ups, after our baths. I never thought about a time when I wouldn't fall asleep in my bedroom with the green walls. Because kids don't think about things like that.

Now when I think about those things, it makes me glad for parents who filled the first part of my life with so many good things. We were a lucky bunch of kids. We didn't have a lot of toys. We didn't have a TV or watch movies very often. We did some very weird things that I'm utterly embarrassed to think about now, but we had awesome times.

My mother probably remembers all the squabbles, yelling and tears. I remember the race track around the driveway, the pretend soccer field in the front yard, the playhouse we made under a cedar tree in the woods, running naked around the house using bath towels as capes, laughing so hard I peed on the stairs, and playing dress up for hours. 

No one ever tells a little kid to value those days because they're flying by and they won't be back. But maybe that's a good thing.

Ignorance is bliss, right?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe