Fifteen years later, I can still remember the excitement of standing on school supply aisle in Wal-Mart while my mother checked items off of the list. You know the list that the school would send out with needed items for the upcoming school year? They included things like hand soap, wipes, a certain size tissue box, colored pencils, fat Crayola crayons or skinny Crayloa crayons (depending on what grade you were in), pencils, other boring stuff, etc.
But then there was the list that you had in your head. It was the list of must have items that you just couldn't survive the school year without.
For some reason, it was almost impossible to convince my mom how much I actually needed these things. Three different notebooks with puppies on them? Uh, yes! A glittery binder? I would die without it. How could she not see that?! A new rolling backpack? Essential for survival.
I hardly ever got the things off of my list. I would end up with just one boring solid colored notebook, one binder, and the same old backpack from last year. As well as a buggy load of hand soap, wipes, tissue boxes, and colored pencils.
I didn't get what I wanted, but that never took away from the excitement of back-to-school shopping. These days that excitement doesn't come as early as it used to and never lasts as long. But there is, and I think there always will be, something exciting about starting back to school with new notebooks, packs of new pens, and crisp new books stacked and ready to go.
Wait. Who am I kidding? I never have crisp new books. When the used, coffee-stained, dog-eared books are still over $100, you can bet I never have crisp new books.
So even though a part of me is dreading summer ending and school starting again, there's still that little part of me that's excited about it. Below is the list of my must have essentials for this school year. And yes, I'll probably throw myself on the floor yelling, "Nobody loves me!" if I don't get them.
You've been warned.
- A 6-pack of Field Notes Clic Pens // even though there is a deep passionate love within my heart for ballpoint pens, sometimes clic pens can get the job done just as well
- The original 3-pack of Field Notes // for interviews, lists, and jotting random thoughts down
- Draw Your Tomorrow planner // because it's big and beautiful and has plenty of space to write in
- Some Washi tape // to make the insides of my planner & notebooks pretty (I saw this idea on a blog somewhere, but I can't remember which one)
- Weekly Eco Planner // runner up in my quest to find the perfect day planner
- Garrison Bag // to carry my notebooks and used books
- A grasshopper stapler // to staple papers together with and to make me smile every time I look at it
- Wristwatch post-it notes // I'll be the coolest kid in class
Image from here
, by Whitney